- Banner Cities and Towns
- What's A Banner City/Town?
Banner City/Town Requirements
Municipalities who are designated as Banner City/Towns:
- Are recognized among their peers as an active participant in showcasing municipal government and how it works
- Work together as a municipality to help strengthen their membership league
- Foster goodwill by educating youth about municipal government
- Maximize their MML membership by taking part in League programs and activities
- Ensures the voice of their municipality is heard on issues relevant to the membership and in matters of legislative priorities
Banner City/Town Checklist
Wondering if your city or town is eligible for the Banner City/Town designation? Review the checklist below.
Please note that the Banner City/Town application is digital only. For best experience, have all documentation and information on hand and do not complete the form until you are ready to submit.
The elected and appointed officials in my city/town have worked together and accomplished the following:
- Sent at least one representative to the annual summer conference
- Sent at least one representative to the fall conference
- At least one representative from our municipality attended 50% of the chapter meetings
- During the month of November, our municipality conducted a Municipal Government Works Month (MGW) activity
- A representative (mayor, councilperson, or appointed official) visited at least one school, during the school year, to educate students about municipal government and/or conducted a visit to a 4th grade class to discuss the role of a Mayor and encouraged them to participate in the “If I Were Mayor, I Would…” Essay Contest
- At least one elected or appointed official participated in one of the following MML activities or programs during the eligible Banner City/Town year, between June and May:
- Provided written or verbal testimony at a Maryland General Assembly Hearing
- Enrolled in or graduated from the Academy for Excellence in Local Governance
- Exhibited on Municipal Main Street at the annual summer conference
- Participated in the mentoring program
- Participated in the student shadowing experience program
- Served as a chapter/department officer or on the chapter/department Board of Directors
- The town's Mayor attended the Maryland Mayor's Association Winter Conference
- Served on the MML Board of Directors
- Was a member in good standing on an MML committee
If you answered yes to all of the above requirements, please complete the digital Banner City/Town Participant Application and submit to MML, along with any required proof, by May 26, 2023.