- Emergency Management
- Cybersecurity Resources
What are Maryland Municipalities doing?
- Laurel's Social Media Policy
- Rockville's Employee Awareness Poster
- City of Rockville - Security Standard & Guidelines
On April of 2021, MML hosted a webinar for our membership on how to address cybersecurity in your city/town. The presenter of this webinar is Paul Troncone, North Beach Councilman and President and founder of the Digadel Corporation. Paul has published numerous cybersecurity articles in Municipal Maryland Magazine and is the co-author of the book Cybersecurity Ops with bash: Attack, Defend, and Analyze from the Command line (O’Reilly), and author of the Cybersecurity Risk Management Workbook.
Websites and Articles
- Do you need Cyber Liability Protection? See what the Local Government Insurance Trust (LGIT) has to offer.
- Managing Cyber Threats on a Small Budget? Check out this article from the National League of Cities (NLC): https://www.nlc.org/article/2019/10/29/managing-cyber-threats-on-a-small-budget/
- Want to make cybersecurity a focus for the new year? Here's a 21 tips for 2021 white paper from ConvergeOne solutions: http://www.mdmunicipal.org/DocumentCenter/View/7782/21-Cybersecurity-Tips-for-2021
- Don't fall prey to user error; create a cyber-secure culture. Here's an article with five steps to advance your municipality's cybersecurity efforts: https://www.tylertech.com/resources/blog-articles/five-steps-to-a-cybersecurity-culture
- Cybersecurity Is Not (Just) a Tech Problem - This Harvard Business Review article talks about how leaders can create a trusting environment to help prevent cybersecurity issues. https://hbr.org/2021/01/cybersecurity-is-not-just-a-tech-problem?ab=hero-subleft-3
- ICMA's 64-page Cybersecurity Report. Check out page 14 for how to put a plan in place for your town.
- Washington State has a great Municipal Research Center. They have a page dedicated to cybersecurity resources for municipalities that's worth checking out. http://mrsc.org/Home/Explore-Topics/Public-Safety/Cybersecurity/Cybersecurity
- What does the State of Maryland offer? Check out the Department of Information Technology's (DoIT) page: https://doit.maryland.gov/cybersecurity/Pages/default.aspx
- Blogging of Cyber-Security Resources. The National Cybersecurity Center is a nonprofit for cyber innovation and awareness based in Colorado Springs. It includes a variety of resources including their blog. https://cyber-center.org/blog/
- Cyber Resilience Review (CRR) is a no-cost, voluntary, non-technical assessment to evaluate an organization’s operational resilience and cybersecurity practices. https://us-cert.cisa.gov/resources/assessments
- Resources for State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial (SLTT) Governments, including links to geographically-specific resources from various levels of government to help identify and manage cyber risk. https://us-cert.cisa.gov/resources/sltt
- Comprehensive list of Tips which describe and offer advice about common security issues for non-technical computer users. https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/tips
- Updates from CISA subscribe to automatic updates from the Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) https://www.cisa.gov/subscribe-updates-cisa
- Shields Up latest information on malicious cyber activity, how to report it, and guidance for all organizations. https://www.cisa.gov/shields-up
- CISA is encouraging information sharing to increase resilience to global cyber threats. To facilitate the information sharing process, CISA developed the attached Cyber Event Information Sharing Fact Sheet.
- Multi-State Information Sharing & Analysis Center (MS-ISAC) - The mission of the MS-ISAC is to improve the overall cybersecurity posture of the nation's state, local, tribal and territorial governments through focused cyber threat prevention, protection, response, and recovery .https://www.cisecurity.org/ms-isac/
- Cyber Readiness Institute - The Cyber Readiness Program can help you protect your data, your employees, your vendors, and your customers. This free, online program is designed to help small and medium-sized enterprises become more secure against today’s most common cyber vulnerabilities. https://cyberreadinessinstitute.org/
- Malicious Domain Blocking and Reporting (MDBR)
This no-cost service provides an additional layer of cybersecurity protection that is proven, effective, and easy to deploy. MDBR technology prevents IT systems from connecting to harmful web domains, helping limit infections related to known malware, ransomware, phishing, and other cyber threats. This capability can block the majority of ransomware infections just by preventing the initial outreach to a ransomware delivery domain. https://mdbr.cisecurity.org/
- NLC Cyber Roadmap
NLC-RISC and NLC Mutual teams have created a Cyber Roadmap resource. The resource walks members through the various federal cyber resources that are available to state and local governments. The document is organized in “steps” which are recommendations (with input from staff at the Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency) on the best order to complete these actions.Member Cyber Roadmap